Another talk at the local PythonPune meetup

I rehashed the workshop I conducted at SciPy last weekend into a 20-ish minute talk today at the local Python meetup group. I've been following their activities for well over 4 months now and every time it so happens that I'm traveling when they organize the meetup. Every month for the last 4 months. And finally. Finally. Today, there were no conflicts.

It couldn't have happened at a better time either. I already had all of the material because I used the same slides as those I used during the workshop. Ohh, if you don't know, the workshop I conducted was on `Automated Testing using Python`. I talked about the unittest module and the mock module and I briefly mentioned the pytest and nose test runners in passing.

Overall, the talk was well received. A few people came up to ask me about follow up questions, about how mock can actually help with testing a large code base and I tried my best to give them examples. I also talked to a few of the regulars and the organizers about the Python meetups in general and that I was interested in talking pretty much every month and that I was going to try be a regular.

Also. Shout out to Screen Magic (http://www.screen-magic.com/) for hosting the talk and for an awesome lunch. Thanks a lot :)

It looks like the Python community has a very clear split - the part of the community that does web development using Python and uses tools like Flask, Django and so on and the part of the community that does scientific computing or Machine Learning (ML) using Python. From what I've seen, these two communities have very few people in common. I personally wish there were more scientific computing and machine learning talks at the next meetup. Only time will tell, I guess.

Finally, there were a bunch of interesting people I met. A few people interested in being hired. A few people interested in talking about how they are using Python at their day job or on their weekends and side projects. One person piqued my interest, who talked about wanting to understand the ML scene in general and wanted to meet people who were pros. Maybe he was interested in hiring. I wouldn't know because I have no understanding or experience in ML/AI. I prolly should though. For the sake of my future.

And finally, I met an interesting person who told me something that kinda surprised me. She told me that she had been working at the same company for about 8 years and that she was now finding it difficult to crack interviews and move jobs. Mind you, not because she isn't technically sound. Because the people interviewing her are questioning why she stayed at the same place for 8 years and what all she learnt in that time. Make of that what you will. Personally, I dont like what's happening on the other end of the spectrum, where developers are changing jobs roughly every year.

Anyway. That's enough commentary. If you came here for the slides, well here they are http://scipy.in/2016/downloads/workshop/. As always, any and all feedback is highly appreciated :)

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy