3 Projects i need help with

I've wanted to learn methods to Extract and Visualize data and i've come up with 3 projects that i could use to learn these methods! I've been working on them for a couple of months now, doing background work to remove all of the trivial problems!

Mining my blog, Mining Facebook Data and Mining my bookmarks - these are the three projects i have in mind and i need help with.


Mining my blog


If you guys don't know, i have another blog which automatically posts videos i add to my Youtube Favorites list - using IFTTT. I've been using this service for over an year now and i have ~600 posts - all of them videos on my blog. Now, i want to mine the blog to look at the frequency with which i watch youtube videos, maybe see a pattern which i can correlate to my college exam schedule!


While looking for ways to mine the blog, i found out that i can download my blog as an xml file! So, getting the data part is taken care of. Here's the xml file. Download it and open it using a browser and you'll see that each post comes with a date and time stamp! Now open the XML file using any editor and look for this specific data and time stamp! I haven't learnt XML parsing yet, hopefully in python, but as i understand it - i can extract these stamps! Once extraction is done, it's just a matter of plotting a histogram!


Mining my bookmarks


I use bookmarks. A lot! I even use Xmarks to backup all of them online and to share them across browsers and across OS. Now, something bad happened - probably because I use chrome and Chrome has Chrome Sync which syncs bookmarks as well - and i now have multiple copies of the same bookmark. You can see symptoms of this here and the full blown tumor that it has now become here! (my current set of bookmarks, saved as a .html)


Now, first thing to do is to remove the multiple copies of bookmarks. There is no trivial solution for this, as far as i've looked! So, any suggestions or solutions are welcome here!


Ohh, as a perk, once i remove the multiple copies, i am going to mine this list as well!


If you notice the source of the bookmarks page i.e the .html file - you will notice that each bookmark has a tag - ADD_DATE="1370996258"- which i'm guessing is the date on which i created the bookmark! I'm now trying to decipher the number to know the date (and maybe time)! 


To decipher the number, i've created an folder called example and I've been created bookmarks in it on regular intervals - roughly once every 2 hours over a weekend! I'm in the process of deciphering this tag so if you can help me remove the extra copies, i'll have sometime interesting in hand! 


Mining my Facebook Data


This is kinda like what Wolfram Facebook Analytics does, actually a very dumbed down version of it! If you guys don't know, you can download all of the data facebook has on you - information, friend list, photos, videos and what not - from here. Facebook used to provide a html file which contained information on posts you've made, the # of likes on each post, the # of comments and so on but they don't do it anymore! 


But anyway, i have copies of data from from Nov 2011 and Dec 2012. These are html files corresponding to my wall from Nov 11 and Dec 12. Now, again, if you turn your attention to the source of the wall i.e the .html file, you will see a pattern - a pattern as to where my posts, where the comments and likes for a certain post are! 


upon inspection, you'll see that

<abbr class="time published" title="2012-12-14T23:09:08+0000">December 15, 2012 at 4:39 am</abbr> is the html tag for a post.Clearly, it has the date and the time of the post.

further like <div class="feedentry hentry"...>...</div> is the tag for a post,

it's <div class="comment hentry"...>...</div> for a comment pertaining to the post and
<div class="comments hfeed"...>...</div> is the tag for the number of people who liked the post!

So, again, with the trivial things cleared, i now need to learn parsing html and xml files (using python) and learn how to go about extracting data from these specific tags!


I can then have a time series plot of my posts, the frequency, average # of likes.

Going further, i could look for a correlation between words in a post and the # of likes for the post. Well, you get it, the possibilities to screw around with this data is just limitless!

So, there you go. 3 projects which i hope to finish by the end of 2013! But hey, if you're interested, you're welcome to work on these files! Or you can do the same with your data!


Any comments on how to go about doing these projects or actual solutions are very very welcome and highly appreciated!


Happy Brainstorming! :) 

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy