Some of Pieter Hinjens' writing

 
I'm a traitor to my "race" and gender and culture. These are boxes to contain and divide us.

...

The debt of privilege is massive, yet it is like any debt. You repay little by little, as you can. You never forget it, and you never justify it.

From Five Years, Five Wishes.


Over time I learned that if you chat with a stranger, in the course of any kind of interaction (like buying a hot dog, or groceries) they'll chat back with a beam of pleasure. Slowly, like a creeping addiction to coffee, this became my drug of choice.

In time it became the basis, and then the goal of my work: to go to strange places and meet new people. I love the conferences because you don't need an excuse. Everyone there wants, and expects, to talk. I rarely talk about technical issues. Read the code, if you want that.

From A Protocol for Dying

 

This is how it happens: we construct, and then when we reach a plateau, the wolves come along, destroy what we make, and liberate us to go forth and do better. Psychopaths are the garbage collectors of human society.

From Requiem for GitHub.

 I really need to read his books now.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy

Arxiv author affiliations using Python