A New Year Theme (instead of a resolution)

tl; dr - My New Year Theme for 2020 is Financial Literacy. See CGP Grey's video to understand what I mean by a New Year Theme.


I was going through the list of channels I subscribe to on Youtube as part of an effort to highlight creators who I admire - creators on Youtube, Instagram and the internet as a whole.

I rediscovered CGP Grey's channel. I say rediscovered because I obsessively watched all of this videos a while back. I subscribed to get updates from the channel but given my viewing habits and the recommendation algorithm changes in Youtube, I haven't seen his videos popup on my home page on Youtube these past few months.

Coming to the video, it is an interesting take on the common idea of New Year Resolutions. He advocates for defining a Theme instead of Resolutions. He defines themes are broad areas of interest in which I can make progress instead of having a specific resolution which I work towards.

For example, I am thinking of setting my theme for 2020 as the year of Financial Literacy. In that broad theme, I can achieve many specific goals. For example understanding the basics of investing in the markets directly (e.g. stocks/equity), understanding mutual funds, understanding debt instruments etc.

I have been keen on understanding these aspects for a while now given that I earn enough to save a good chunk of money and I intend to save enough to pursue costly hobbies like astronomy. (If you didn't know, amateur astronomy can be a costly hobby given how costly telescopes, digital cameras are).

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy

Arxiv author affiliations using Python