Cambridge reminds me of college (IITM)

I studied at the Indian Institute of Technology at Chennai (Previously Madras). It was a 5 year program on a campus that was lush green. 600 acres, filled with trees, a lake which we weren't allowed to go near for fear of injuring ourselves. And deers. Ohh, and monkeys. Lots and lots of monkeys.

Now, in Cambridge, I am reminded of my days at IITM.

Not because there are monkeys or deers in Cambridge. Not because of the trees either. There are definitely a lot of trees in Cambridge but it's not the same as IITM.

It's because of the people I see around here. It's also because how I was behaving the first couple of days.

The first few days here (even now a few times), I was walking about the city center taking pictures of everything, in awe of the beauty, the architecture and overall serenity. And then I noticed others passing next to me, others who might be students in Cambridge, who have gotten used to this city and it's beauty.

That's what reminded me of college. In my first couple of weeks at IITM, I (and practically all other freshmen) biked around the whole campus, exploring it's vastness and getting familiar with the place. There were also a lot of families walking around taking pictures of monkeys and deers and the trees. Ohh so many trees. It was a new experience to people.

And then as time passed, the beauty of the campus started to fade into the background as I got busy with things. I noticed it less and less. Every so often, I would still come across visitors walking around and taking pictures. I would ask myself what they were so enthralled by. It's just some monkeys, a few deers and trees.

And now, here I am. Looking at trees, roads, buildings and rivers while people walk by me in a hurry.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy