Watch random on Netflix/Prime

I'm in love with Netflix. The catalogue of interesting movies and tv shows I have access to is mind-blowing and incomprehensible. One might say that I spend a little too much time watching stuff on Netflix.

But.

BUT.

There is one thing I miss about regular old television.

The opportunity to randomly stumble across something I love and haven't watched in a long time. The possibility of coming across something that is amazing that I would have never found, if not for the fact that I was flipping through channels randomly.

I'm a little surprised that Netflix doesn't already have a Random button that let's Netflix decide what I should watch, given how much it knows about my interests.

At the same time, I would love to see a Watch again button that would play something I've watched and liked. Heck, it would be doubly awesome if Netflix just played the movie or tv show from the middle, instead of starting from the beginning.

Finally, I wish Netflix would one day let me create a schedule. An option that will let me schedule a TV show over the course of a month, instead of binging it in the matter of a few days. Heck. Schedule multiple shows, one after another. And maybe schedule movies over the weekend of a particular genre.

That last wish, the ability to create a schedule, might go against Netflix's business goals, of having users spend as much time as possible on the platform. But I would argue that letting me create a schedule makes for a healthy long-term relationship between the user and the platform, instead of short-term gains.

On a completely meta-note, I came across an apparent interview question that I find very interesting. The candidate is asked to pick a product, maybe any product, and critique it. Note that I'm talking about tech products so let's say Google Chrome or Wikipedia. I find it satisfying to think about how a product or platform we use everyday can be improved, if in the slightest.

On that note,
Until next time.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy