Skip to main content

Root finding, interpolation and python

I prototyped the codes to find the root of a function, using the bisection, newton-rhapson and secant methods. And then i tried writing a code to do polynomial interpolation. Both of these codes need refinement, the latter more than the former. But i finally wrote code, after two days of putting it off and doing other chores instead of this. And the reason i finally did so was, partially, python. Well, apart from my mood being better today than in the days before, I think trying to write the code in python is what kept me going, instead of say c or fortran.

The reason why I prefer python and ask beginners to use it is because of how easy it is to write a prototype in python. The number of steps from idea to a model are the least in python, in comparison to c or fortran. Relaxed syntax constraints, dynamic type allocation, variable initialization. I don't know which of these, and many other such differences, is the reason why i prefer python over C. Maybe I have an intrinsic bias because I started programming seriously in python, although the first programming language i was introduced to was C. And it maybe easier for people comfortable with C to convert ideas to models in C. Long story short, there is no need for a debate on which programming language is better. There should be a debate however on how to teach programming concepts so that students grasp them faster and become capable of using them as tools.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Animation using GNUPlotI've been trying to create an animation depicting a quasar spectrum moving across the 5 SDSS pass bands with respect to redshift. It is important to visualise what emission lines are moving in and out of bands to be able to understand the color-redshift plots and the changes in it.
I've tried doing this using the animate function in matplotlib, python but i wasn't able to make it work - meaning i worked on it for a couple of days and then i gave up, not having found solutions for my problems on the internet.
And then i came across this site, where the gunn-peterson trough and the lyman alpha forest have been depicted - in a beautiful manner. And this got me interested in using js and d3 to do the animations and make it dynamic - using sliders etc.
In the meanwhile, i thought i'd look up and see if there was a way to create animations in gnuplot and whoopdedoo, what do i find but nirvana!

In the image, you see 5 static curves and one dynam…

on MOOCs.

For those of you who don't know, MOOC stands for Massively Open Online Course.

The internet is an awesome thing. It's making education free for all. Well, mostly free. But it's surprising at the width and depth of courses being offered online. And it looks like they are also having an impact on students, especially those from universities that are not top ranked. Students in all parts of the world can now get a first class education experience, thanks to courses offered by Stanford, MIT, Caltech, etc.

I'm talking about MOOCs because one of my new year resolutions is to take online courses, atleast 2 per semester (6 months). And I've chosen the following two courses on edX - Analyzing Big Data with Microsoft R Server and Data Science Essentials for now. I looked at courses on Coursera but I couldn't find any which was worthy and free. There are a lot more MOOC providers out there but let's start here. And I feel like the two courses are relevant to where I …

On programmers.

I just watched this brilliant keynote today. It's a commentary on Programmers and the software development industry/ecosystem as a whole.



I am not going to give you a tl;dr version of the talk because it is a talk that I believe everyone should watch, that everyone should learn from. Instead, I am going to give my own parallel-ish views on programmers and programming.
As pointed out in the talk, there are mythical creatures in the software development industry who are revered as gods. Guido Van Rossum, the creator of Python, was given the title Benevolent Dictator For Life (BDFL). People flock around the creators of popular languages or libraries. They are god-like to most programmers and are treated like gods. By which, I mean to say, we assume they don't have flaws. That they are infallible. That they are perfect.
And alongside this belief in the infallibility of these Gods, we believe that they were born programmers. That programming is something that people are born wit…