Farewell to Enthought

I started my professional career at Enthought, at the Pune office in India, on Feb 29, 2016. Over the course of eight long years, I spent time at the Austin office in the US, the Cambridge office in the UK, and I worked remotely from India. I was let go on March 27, 2024. I had an unbelievably great time.

I had three amazing mentors - Pankaj Pandey, Senganal Thirunavukkarasu, and Mark Dickinson. Pankaj mentored me in my first year at Enthought. I started paying attention to the craft of software after working with him. Senganal started mentoring me in my second year at Enthought, and continues to mentor me, even after the both of us have moved on from Enthought. He instilled professionalism in me, ensuring that the code I wrote produced precise scientific results, and that I tackled the known unknown aspects of a project first, to ensure timely communication about project progress. I was eager to manage people at the time and Senganal made me realize that I didn't want to manage technical people without first being technically skilled myself. Mark mentored me after I moved to the UK office. He helped me appreciate Software Architecture and "Clean Code". We started a Software Architecture reading group in late 2019 that I was a part of until late 2023, one of the best things during my time at Enthought. I experienced the value of mentorship from them and I am trying my best to pass it on.

I didn't realize it at the time but I am surprised that the Executive team took the time to have meaningful conversations with me. I bugged Eric Jones, our CEO, about the unamicable split with Travis Oliphant and Peter Wang, who eventually created Continuum Analytics (now Anaconda) and NumFocus. I talked to him about sustaining the Open Source Python packages that Enthought created. I talked to Bill Jones, our CFO at the time, about growing the company. I had drinks with Didrik Pinte, our CTO, and talked about the technical challenges that we experience. I talked to Chris Farrow, one of our Consulting Managers, about the growing pains that we were experiencing. I aim to be as generous with my time as they were with their time, to help someone young change their thought processes, and help them see the bigger picture.

I was never the smartest person in the room and I learnt a ton from the people around me. I'm forever grateful for the amazing conversations I had over the years with Prabhu Ramachandran, Namrata Majumdar, Prashant Agarwal, Jordan Weaver, Jill Cowan, Prashant Mital, Erick Michaud, Brendon Hall, Xiaoyu Wu, Alexandre Chabot-Leclerc, Jonathan March, Steven Kern, Kuya Takami, Jodi Havranek, Jo Dickinson, Kit Yan Choi, Ioannis Tziakos, Mayank Manjrekar, Joris Vankerschaver, Aaron Ayres, Frank Longford, Wahiba Taouali, Sam Potter, Nicola De Mitri, Yimo (Tony) Ni, John Wiggins, Yifeng Wu, Andrew Summers, Siddhant Wahal, Matthew Smarte, Jim Corson, and a lot more.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enthought helped me appreciate FOSS and Scientific Computing, two worlds where I wish to spend the rest of my professional life. My time at Enthought made me who I am now and helped me become the CEO of FOSS United. I wish nothing but the best for Enthought.

 Onwards and Upwards.

Popular posts from this blog

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Animation using GNUPlot