I happily pay for The Morning Context

I turned 30 this year and until recently, I didn't have the habit of reading a daily newspaper. I think I used to pay for newspapers for an year or so when I was in college but I don't remember reading them. I just remember them being piled up in a corner of my room. I used to get most of my news from Facebook, and then Twitter and then from Reddit. But they're just a news feed and these feeds have been slowly tightening the bubble around me over the past decade.

At some point over the past year, I came across The Morning Context. I follow the Zerodha universe so I came across the fact that Rainmatter Foundation, a non-profit initiative by the people behind Zerodha, funded The Morning Context. I signed up to access the few free articles they have and quickly, decided to become a paid subscriber. It costs around 3,000 Rupees per year (~40 USD). That feels like a lot when compared to the cheapest Netflix subscription that costs 1,788 Rupees per year, the Amazon Prime subscription that costs 1,499 Rupees per year or the cheapest Disney+ Hotstar subscription that costs 499 Rupees per year. But, trust me when I tell you, it's worth it.

If you're not convinced to pay, just signing up should give you access to the free articles they have. Once you sign up, I would recommend reading the following pieces -

Finally, paying subscribers get "Credits" every month which can be redeemed to share articles with people. If you're interested in reading a specific article behind the paywall, email me and I'll try to send it to you.

I've been reading The Morning Context practically every day over the past year. Now that I've built up the habit, I'm considering going further, maybe getting an actual daily newspaper or getting a subscription to another online news service like The Ken. Subscribing to The Ken will cost an additional 3000-5000 Rupees but now that I'm getting to know what quality journalism looks like, I think it will be worth the money.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy