A month in Cambridge, UK.

I realised on Friday, as I was cycling back from work, that I had just spent a month living in Cambridge. That was pretty much all I spent thinking about on my way back home.

It has been a very interesting month.

I stayed at an AirBnB for a week and a half before I leased a place. I'm not too picky but I also got lucky. It's apparently common for people to spend 2+ weeks, if not a full month, searching and moving into a place.

The next thing, and the last thing, to complete my move to Cambridge was to buy a bicycle, which happened about two weeks back. A colleague at work thankfully lent me a spare bicycle he had until I had bought my own (Thanks Peter!).

It feels a little weird. Living in Cambridge.

Don't get me wrong, the town itself is lovely, I love my coworkers. It's a little cold for my liking but hey, I saw that coming. What else could I have expected moving from Chennai, India.

It feels weird because I know that there is no end in sight. Well, none that is easy to perceive. My visa is for a couple of years but it's hard to register a deadline that is years away. I spent a good chunk of time in Austin, Texas over the two years but it didn't feel like this. My stays in Austin were always short term, in the order of months, and it was very easy to count down.

And i'm not sure why i feel this way either. I lived in two different cities over the last three years and I lived in three different apartments these last three years.

Anyway, time is probably going to cure this feeling.

It will also help if i get out of my room during the weekends. There is so much to see and so many things to do. At Austin, I always had the luxury of relying on a colleague to tell me what we were doing over the weekend (Hey Alex!) but here, I need to be vigilent and look for things I could do over the weekends.

I've already visited four museums in Cambridge, which were awesome, and there more museums that I haven't visited. Beyond the museums, there are places in and around Cambridge, in the United Kindgom and in Europe that I would love to visit while i'm here. (And i need to plan my travel while ensuring that my mental battery stays charged :D).

I'll make time over the next couple of days to post photos I took at the museums I visited.

Apart from doing things outside of my room on the weekends, I also need to start doing things at home over the week and weekends. I have a few things planned and I need to start executing, instead of indefinitely delaying things. You'll hear more about them once I start executing.

Until then.

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy