300 : The graphic novel

I just read 300. Yes. Read, not watched. The movie 300 is based on the graphic novel 300, by Frank Miller. If you are interested in comic books and graphic novels, you would've heard of Frank Miller. You would be familiar with his work if you are fan of Batman.

Now, coming to the actual book, it was beautifully drawn and interesting to read. I kept comparing it to the movie, in the back of my head. I no doubt prefer the book to the movie. The book felt more visually appealing than the movie. It was also better at grabbing and holding on to my attention better than the movie. I don't know why but I very much prefer reading the story than watching the story, even if the movie had followed the story exactly.

Coming to deviations between the book and the movie, the story arc is probably the most prominent, atleast in the beginning of the book. The book takes a non-linear arc where we see the 300 prepare for war as we learn about how Leonidas became king and how the war started. The non-linear story arc was more compelling than the linear arc, which is what I remember the movie took. The other biggest deviation was the fact that the 300 Spartans weren't the only men to have fought the Persians, there were other allies. Again, this is something I feel shouldn't have been thrown out of the movie as it made the story more realistic and gave it a better message.

I guess everyone takes artistic liberties when adapting a book or a graphic novel to a movie. I've heard Harry Potter fans complain about the differences between the books and the movies. This last month, I experience this firsthand when I read the Watchmen and realized the similarities and differences between the graphic novel and the movie.

At the end of the day, it's a beautiful book that I suggest you read. Luckily for me, a colleague of mine from work had it and was kind enough to lend it to me (Thanks Christian!).

I guess that's it for now. I've read a lot over the last month, which I am very very proud of. One of my New Year resolutions was to read more than 12 books, one for every month of the year. Over the first six months of this year, I read 3 books, one of which was technical. In August alone, I read over 20 books, 19 of which were graphic novels and one of which was a non-fiction book. I'll try to write about the other books and graphic novels I've read this last month. Until then ...

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy