No moar books!

This is the last blogpost among a series of 3, which list all the graphic novels that I read in the last 6 weeks, while I was visiting the Austin office of my company. Most of these books were suggested to me by my colleagues, something that really surprised me. I didn't know there were so many work colleagues who were into graphic novels and comic books.

Joe The Barbarian - Is one of the best graphic novels I've read these past two months. It's the story of a hypoglycemic kid and it's wonderfully told. It's one that I recommend everyone read.

Watchmen - You might've seen the movie. I liked the graphic novel better than the movie, even though the movie was on the back of my mind the whole time. I liked it better because of the full page scenes and how much deeper the story is, when compared to the movie. It's a classic and I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested in graphic novels.

300 - Again, you might've watched the movie. Again, I liked the graphic novel better, because it felt more realistic than the movie. I actually wrote another blog post about it, after reading the graphic novel so no more comments here. It's beautiful to read and gripping, definitely something I'd recommend.

Last day in Vietnam - This is a collection of very short stories during the US-Vietnam War, tales on the ground told in pictures. They're gripping, sad and highly recommended. This is one of the books that made me expand my scope of what graphic novels as a medium can achieve.

Can't we talk about something more pleasant - This is a weird one. It's the story of a middle-aged woman having to take care of her aging parents, with occasional reminiscing about her childhood. It's quirky, it's dark but it's funny. It made me stop and think about my own life and family. The art stands out when compared to the rest. I'd recommend it if you're interested in experimenting with what you want to read.

Coming to graphic novels I've read which are part of a series, we have Volume I of East of West, Volume I of Fables, and Volume I of The Wicked and The Divine. Fables is something I'd recommend because of it's interesting premise, which is the common and popular fairy tale characters living in New York because they were banished from their respective lands. East of West is visually beautiful but the story was confusing to me. The Wicked and the Divine is an interesting premise but it didn't pull me in enough to make me want to, need to read the rest of the books in the series.

I think I'll stop here. I'm leaving out a few more graphic novels that I read which I haven't mentioned in any of the blog posts. You can find them on my goodreads profile. If you've read any of these graphic novels or if you have suggestions for me, I'm all ears :)

Popular posts from this blog

Animation using GNUPlot

Arxiv author affiliations using Python

Thoughts on the National Deep Tech Startup Policy